Identification of Values are very important for Self Development and Career
What is a Value?
Every human being or organization has its own value and these are very important to us because it gives us purpose. Most of the people have approximately 5-6 core values (god gifted) which helps us to identify who we are. Each individual’s values are unique in nature to that person. Even if two individuals pick the same value, each individual will demonstrate it differently in his/her daily life action and language. These values reflect our personality who we are on a daily basis – in everything whether at home or work.
If we really identify our values, it helps us to be a good leader in all respect of our life, not only in our career.
Why do we need to know our values?
Values helps us to know our sense of purpose. When we are leader, we have to align our values every day which helps us to fill with more energy. Opposite to this, when we don’t align our values, we feel less authentic and become complete demotivated about our daily lives which reflects in our leadership. A leader with strong values always supports the organizational culture.
List of values:
- Continuous learning
- Inner Harmony
- Making a difference
- Meaningful Work
How we can find our values?
Before making a decision, follow these five steps:
- First, review your list of values. For this exercise, it is best to have your values written down.
- Then ask yourself this question about the value you have listed as number one: “On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest, how well does the perceived outcome of this decision or opportunity align with value number one?” Then write down the number.
- Ask the same question about each value on your list.
- After you’ve rated the perceived outcome of this decision or opportunity for each of your core values, add the numbers up and find the average.
- Lastly, evaluate the score. Your aim is to get a score of seven or higher on average. If you score below seven, the decision or opportunity may not align enough with your values to be considered.
Purposefully remind yourself of your values
It’s important to have a visual reminder of your values, in addition to your list of values. This keeps them front and centre in your mind. Here are some easy ways to remind yourself of your values on a regular basis:
- Create a screensaver.
- Don’t underestimate the power of a post-it.
- Find a picture that represents one of your values and keep it somewhere you will see it daily.
- Choose a song to represent one or more of your values and listen to it once a day as part of your morning, afternoon, or evening ritual.
Discussing values is powerful and relevant to any leader.
Taught by my Guru: Ms. Gurdish Sandhu